I’m Joe Friedman, a Manhattan based Director of Photography with over 30 years of experience shooting documentaries, corporate assignments, reality shows, historical period pieces and assorted narrative and documentary features. I’ve shot throughout the United States and in 26 countries around the world.
I always approach each assignment with as much imagination and energy as possible - get the best shot, shoot the best scene, stay conscious of the clock and keep within the budget.
I’ve worked with scientists, dirt farmers, actors, Wall Streeters, street cleaners, transsexual prostitutes and hedge fund managers. I’ve shot brain surgery, spent weeks on an aircraft carrier at sea, filmed grinding poverty in the Third World and babies coming into the world, one of which brought an entire operating room medical staff to tears - including me.
My work is currently on exhibit in three major museums. Much of it has appeared on ABC/NBC/CBS, PBS, National Geographic Channel, Discovery Channel, History Channel, Home Box Office, the BBC, French and German TV, and in theatrical distribution around the United States.
Equipment / Gear / Software
- Sony NEX FS-100 Camera Package w/6 Zeiss/ & Nikon Lenses
- Sony EX-3 Camera Package
- GoPro3 Camera Package and Mounting Gear w/rear LCD monitor
- Divas/Chimeras/HMI/LED's Light package
- 3 foot Slider
- Dodge Grand Caravan
- Lectrosonics 411a Receiver and SMQV Transmitter
Clients / Credits
- "Electoral Dysfunction" feature documentary (theatrical release and PBS)
- "NOVA Science Now" Two 1 hour documentaries (PBS)
- "NOVA" - recent one hour documentary (PBS)
- HBO - Two one hour docs ("Amer. Undercover" series)
- "The Today Show", "Good Morning America", "Nightline", ABC World News", "20/20"
- PBS series "African American Lives" (one of the four hour shows)
- History Channel (numerous historical period pieces)
Associations / Organizations
Awards / Honors
- Edward R. Murrow Award/Best Human Interest story: for NBC "The Today Show"
- Annual Headliner's Award: Best Network Feature/Human Interest Story: for NBC "The Today Show"
- First Prize: Hampton Film Festival/Best Documentary Feature ("Martha & Ethel")
- Cine Golden Eagle ("Death By Hanging")
This profile has not yet received any recommendations.
I have not recommended anyone.
Is there something wrong with this profile?
(Broken link, misspelling, profanity, etc.)
Use this form to report it and optionally add a comment telling us what the problem is.
Main: (212) 799-4579
Mobile: (917) 887-4889