Kim A. Tolman
Award winning, Los Angeles based production designer Kim A. Tolman relocated to the United States from her native Germany in 2001. Originally from the countryside of the North Sea coast not far from the Netherlands border, Kim studied design and was also a journeyman carpenter/furniture maker before moving to Cologne, where she designed for theatre and opera, as well as mounting many shows as a fine arts painter.
After moving to the San Francisco Bay Area, Kim designed for stage productions on the both West and East Coasts, from Opera San Jose to the Duke Ellington Theatre in Washington, DC.
Nominated many times, she has been the recipient of several regional awards for her scenic design.
She is also a noted commercial designer with projects in California and in her native Europe. Recent highlights include exterior and interior design elements for KRAFTWERK, a building outside Zurich, Switzerland.
Kim is considered a pioneer in the production design use of the 3D modeling software Google SketchUp, having authored a case study for a book that was released in France (Créez avec SketchUp: 16 projets, de l'architecture au théâtre). The US version Google SketchUp Workshop: Modeling, Visualizing, and Illustrating was released by Focal Press in December 2010.
Kim A. Tolman - Production Designer
With relocation to Los Angeles in 2011, Kim has become immersed in design for themed entertainment, as well as creating the stage set for pop duo The Weepies 2011 U.S. Summer Acoustic Tour, appearing as the onscreen expert on the Yahoo! Screen series Ultimate Proposal, as a contestant on Syfy's Hot Set, along with production designer credits on multiple other film, TV and theatre projects.
Kim is a member of United Scenic Artists (USA) Local 829 I.A.T.S.E and Themed Entertainment Association (TEA).
Kim A. Tolman has been in the industry since 2000.
Equipment / Gear / Software
- SketchUp Pro
- Twilight Render
Clients / Credits
- The Weepies - Stage Set For This Folk Pop Duo's US Acoustic Tour (2011)
- FishBowl/Yahoo! Ultimate Proposal - 12 Episode Series hosted by Cameron Mathison Set Design/On-Camer
- Rethink Attractions - Show Set Designer - Themed Entertainment Design
- Douglas Morrisson Theatre - Set Designer - 28 Shows
- Center Rep - Set Designer - Dracula
- Center Rep - Set Designer - Midsummer Night's Dream
- Opera San Jose - Set Designer - La Boheme
- SyFy's Hot Set - Production Designer/Team Leader/Contestant
Associations / Organizations
- United Scenic Artists, USA Local 829, I.A.T.S.E
- Themed Entertainment Association (TEA)
Awards / Honors
- DRACULA - Shellie Award for Best Scenic Design (2010)
- DRACULA - Bay Area Critics Award Nomination for Best Scenic Design (2010)
- THE WIZARD OF OZ - Arty Award for Best Scenic Design (2008)
- THE MUSIC MAN - Elly Award for Best Scenic Design (2009)
- THE MUSIC MAN - Arty Award for Best Scenic Design (2009)
This profile has not yet received any recommendations.
I have not recommended anyone.
Is there something wrong with this profile?
(Broken link, misspelling, profanity, etc.)
Use this form to report it and optionally add a comment telling us what the problem is.
Main: (818) 371-3032
Alt: (818) 824-3025
Mobile: (818) 371-3032