The Tribeca Film Festival not only closed with some great awards and newfound filmmaking talent, but with a sneak peek of Marvel’s ‘Avengers’ for film fans as well. The festival was filled with movies, festivities, awards, filmmakers, celebrities, movie buffs and families alike. There were an estimated 380,000 film fans who attended the 2012 Tribeca Film Festival (not counting all the people who streamed the festival through Tribeca’s Online Film Festival.) The festival offered nearly 400 screenings of 89 features and 60 shorts from 46 different countries. Learn who the winners of this year’s Tribeca Film festival were, as well as some star-studded jurors who rounded off this 12-day event judging filmmaking talent from across the globe.
The jurors for the 2012 World Narrative Competition were Patricia Clarkson, Dakota Fanning, Mike Newell, Lisa Schwarzbaum, Jim Sheridan, and Irwin Winkler.
* The Founders Award for Best Narrative Feature – War Witch, directed by Kim Nguyen (Canada)
* Best Actor in a Narrative Feature Film – Dariel Arrechada and Javier Nuñez Florian as Raul and Elio in Una Noche, directed by Lucy Mulloy (UK, Cuba, USA)
* Best Actress in a Narrative Feature Film – Rachel Mwanza as Komona in War Witch, directed by Kim Nguyen (Canada)
* Best Cinematography in a Narrative Feature Film – Cinematography by Trevor Forrest and Shlomo Godder, for UnaNoche, directed by Lucy Mulloy (UK, Cuba, USA)
* Special Jury Mention – Alex Catalan for Unit 7. The announcement was made by Lisa Schwarzbaum.
* Best Screenplay for a Narrative Feature Film – All In (La Suerte en Tus Manos), written by Daniel Burman and Sergio Dubcovsky and directed by Daniel Burman (Argentina)
The jurors for the 2012 Best New Narrative Director Competition were Camilla Belle, Whoopi Goldberg, Susannah Grant, Zach Helm, Courtney Hunt, Kellan Lutz and Leelee Sobieski.
* Best New Narrative Director – Lucy Mulloy, director of Una Noche (UK, Cuba, USA)
World Documentary Competition Categories:
* Best Documentary Feature – The World Before Her, directed by Nisha Pahuja (Canada)
* Best Editing in a Documentary Feature – The Flat (Hadira), edited by Tali Halter Shenkar, directed by Arnon Goldfinger, (Israel, Germany)
BEST New Documentary Director Competition:
The jurors for the 2012 Best New Documentary Director Competition were Stuart Blumberg, Jared Cohen, Rachel Grady, Bethann Hardison, Sal Masekela, Ricki Stern, and Olivia Wilde.
* Best New Documentary Director – Jeroen van Velzen for Wavumba (Netherlands)
Short Film Competition Categories:
The 2012 Best Narrative Short Competition jurors were Maureen Chiquet, Hugh Dancy, Aline Brosh McKenna, Bridget Moynahan, Drew Nieporent, Mohammed Saeed Harib, and Shari Springer Berman.
* Best Narrative Short – Asad, directed by Bryan Buckley (USA)
The 2012 Best Documentary and Student Short Competition jurors were Scooter Braun, Robert Hammond, Brett Ratner, Susan Sarandon, James Spione, Shailene Woodley, and Susan Zirinsky.
Best Documentary Short – Paraíso, directed by Nadav Kurtz (USA).