The massive development in technology, huge internet penetration, and expansion of social media platforms are the factors contributed to the evolution of live streaming platforms. With live streaming solutions becoming affordable and more accessible, there has been a shift in the way common internet users engaged with videos. The newest trend is not just videos but live videos.
Live streaming is known as the live broadcasting of videos over the internet. It has changed the way people and brands communicate all over the world today. You can click on a single button of your Facebook app and start sharing a live broadcast throughout your followers’ base. Today, every other social media platform supports live streaming and every other brand is using the same to interact with its audience.
In this article, we are going to examine why live-streaming matters, and why it’s important to stream live when you are a business or a brand. Let’s dive in!
Importance of live streaming services
Online streaming provides endless content accessible with web and mobile devices. It allows flexibility, and it offers an engaged and interactive platform for the users. The number of live streaming platforms is also increasing day by day. It has changed the entertainment medium and has made it easier for brands to
engage with their target audience.
For example, a viewer goes live on Facebook, other viewers can also interact with the presenter. This creates an instant connection between the viewers and the presenter. The real-time interaction for communicating with each other also creates a sense of community among the associated persons.
One of the important things you will get in the live audience is the higher level of engagement and interaction with the audience. You can host a live event that your fans can attend virtually. Most of the brands and businesses in various industries today use live streaming. The real estate companies are broadcasting auctions, retail companies are streaming launch events of the products. In short, the options for live streaming and being benefited with it as a brand are limitless.
Best practices for streaming live videos
Celebratory events, sports, movies, and web series are a few content categories that create engagement for the audience to live streamed events. The advertisers are also not far behind as they stream an array of live stuff to promote their brands. Be it for any reason, the following best practices can help you in bonding with your audience to a great extent while streaming live using any live streaming software.
1. Choose the appropriate live streaming tool
There are basically two approaches while choosing the right live streaming tool for your cause. The easiest way to stream your live videos will be streaming through social media platforms.
There are certain social media platforms that provide live video streaming services like Facebook Live, Twitter’s Periscope and YouTube Live, Twitch. Broadcasting live streams on Facebook is a good idea. Once you complete your live stream, it will become an online video on your Facebook page. You can watch the content anytime when you wish to and so would your followers on Facebook. Periscope is a great option to engage the Twitter audience. You can post your live stream and the followers can watch it in the tweet. YouTube live and Twitch are the two most popular platforms for streaming lie gameplays. Unlike pre-recorded material, live streaming in social media is easy to use. You need not worry about editing the footage and doing multiple takes. All you need is to sign up on a social media platform for free and make a live video. But the things to worry are about the technical error occurring during the live streaming in social media. The video may stop, buffer, or can be of low quality while streaming. As Facebook live is relatively used by millions of users at a time, sometimes the app crashes during the stream or the stream being slow with some audio issues. This can be frustrating for the viewers which eventually kills the engagement.
To tackle this, you can adopt any of the following two approaches and conduct a professional and high-quality live streaming to your audience.
2. Use an enterprise live streaming software
You can use an enterprise live streaming software where you can set up your own stream and use their network to broadcast your real-time stream. The best part is such solutions come with APIs using which you can embed the live stream on any website while controlling the same from a cloud dashboard of the tool. For example, Dacast, LiveStream, etc.
3. Create your live streaming platform
If you don’t have a website, you would not be able to use the tools explained in the previous point. However, this is even better because now you can use a turnkey live streaming solution to get a ready-made website with live streaming software inbuilt. Such solutions are more diverse and they even allow you to monetize your stream using Ads, subscription, or selling tickets. In short, you can create a whole new website like YouTube live or Twitch and make money allowing other streamers to join the league. One such tool is StreamNow, which is also called a Twitch clone.
4. Determine audience needs
Live streaming enables you to deliver services and interact with your viewers to be equal participants in the event. Thus, choose the topics for live streaming that will define your audience’s needs. Provide the answers about the queries of customers before ending the live video. When an expert from your business or organization host live videos, then the participation of viewers will be more.
5. Create a blueprint for audience engagement
The viewers are eager to interact with the presenter to clear the doubts they have. Do your best while answering the questions. This will help the viewers more interactive during the stream. Apart from answering the questions, you can greet the users by their name to let them feel special on your live stream. You can also ask them to share their location in the comments to make it more engaged.
6. Promote your broadcast in advance
Creating an audience base is an important factor in live streaming. If no one knows about your live program, then you won’t get viewers. Thus, schedule your broadcast in advance by sharing links on social media. The registered users will get a reminder about your event when your broadcast starts. Facebook, Twitter, and Blab also provide notifications to users prior to live streaming. You can also promote in advance on your website and blogs to make it more interesting.
7. Manage the time factor
Manage your live streaming time that would be suitable for the time zone of your targeted audience. It is essential to make sure the timing is correct if you are targeting an audience globally.
8. Include Call To Action (CTA)
The relevant CTA after every live stream is an important thing. The CTA could be subscribing to your newsletters, adding links to informational video, or free download.
Latest trends in Live streaming
Live streaming of videos is reinventing the way for brands and products. It has already become an essential marketing tool that can help brands to grow significantly. The following trends are growing as latest in 2019. Have a look.
- Leaning demand for OTT adoption: Many viewers trenching the traditional satellite and cable services, moving towards live streaming. For example, Twitch is a streaming platform that delivers e-sports events directly to the viewers.
- Mobiles define the future of live streaming: The role of mobile is widespread in live streaming in 2019. Many social media platforms have enhanced their way for mobile users and have come up with mobile apps to optimize user interactivity and boost engagement. If you are running a live streaming business, mobile apps are must today.
- Social media dominates the live streaming: Streaming on Facebook, Periscope, Instagram, and other similar platforms provide an immense experience to the viewers.
- Increased live streaming in internal corporate communications: The internal communications in organizations, employee training, meetings, and job interviews on live video streaming has become a pioneer among professionals. The internal video streaming provides a better business atmosphere for remote workers. The collaboration between global workers can also be done through live streaming.
- Emerge of live streaming in music industries: Music broadcasting is the latest trend in 2019. Live streaming music apps provide live concerts with audio streams. Thus, anyone can experience the video-music experience
visually with proper sound quality. The live streaming includes both the musicians and viewers to take an active part in broadcasting.
- IoT and video surveillance: The number of devices connected to the internet will be more and more in the next couple of years. IoT video streaming dominates beyond niche applications in many fields. For example, Healthcare professionals rely on video streams for surgical procedures, video surveillance for security systems, doorbell cameras, pet monitoring, and many more.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML): AI and ML technologies continue to improve the automation of live streaming services. With the help of these technologies, the platforms translate the
audio information from streams into metadata that users can filter later. It will help in reducing the manual work done like adding titles, tags, descriptions, etc.
Apart from the above latest trends, there are many other considerations also in the pipeline that include the growing demand of gaming industry, empowering the education industry, live streaming of churches, wildlife live streaming, etc. and many more.
Cisco predicts that by the year 2021, videos will incorporate for 82% of all internet traffic. Also, the live video will account for 13% of all internet video traffic by 2021.
We can perceive a future where the live video will be the mode of communication all across the world. The live streaming videos will have the greatest effect on collaboration, marketing products, providing services, advertisements, giving tech support, and in entertainment in the near future. This will act as the authentic interactive human dialogue in every brands and product. This will create a medium of understanding each other despite physically far away.