The Media Arts Department of the Minneapolis College of Art and Design invites applications for one or two faculty positions – open rank, commensurate with experience – in the Animation Program. Positioned within Media Arts along with Photography, Film, and Web & Multimedia, MCAD’s Animation BFA provides students with a broad historical perspective, fostering an appreciation of animation as an applied and fine art. Given its commitment, the Media Arts Department requires a dynamic, engaging, passionate, and energetic faculty member who is dedicated to art education and creative practice. The successful candidate will teach a full-time load of three classes per semester, advise students, provide administrative support, and serve on college committees. Courses taught may include technical and conceptual topics and issues over a broad range of levels, from Intro to Animation to Advanced Animation Seminar as well as the Foundation level Media Arts courses. The position begins mid-August 2019 and reports to the Chair of Media Arts. MCAD offers renewable, long-term contracts based on a clearly defined peer-review process.
Animation Program Description:
MCAD’s Animation program is not a specialist’s program; students receive a broad introduction to multiple conceptual, technical and material approaches. The success of this approach is now reflected in the fact that Animation is the largest of the four areas in the Media Arts department with over 100 current majors, the second largest program at MCAD. Students are initially exposed to both 2D and 3D animation techniques. After completing foundation requirements, students choose either the 2D or 3D track as well as focusing on their individual work through core curriculum courses, intensive workshops, experimental studios, client collaborations, internships and a final senior project on which they are encouraged to collaborate with their classmates. Graduates of the Animation program are ideally equipped to move into the professional world with conceptual and technical skills in the visual staging and communication of ideas.
Deadline: Priority will be given to those who respond by Monday, January 07, 2019.
To ensure full consideration, complete application materials must be received by January 07, 2019. Preliminary interviews will be conducted via GoToMeeting. A background check will be made prior to employment.
Applications should include:
1. Letter of application stating how experience and credentials fulfill the requirements for this position
2. Curriculum vitae
3. Statement of teaching philosophy
4. May include URL of professional website
5. Complete information for three professional references: names, institutional affiliations, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers
6. Transcript of degree, showing coursework appropriate to position (copies are acceptable); official transcript required prior to employment.
7. Salary requirements
8. Reel of professional and creative work submitted on a password protected Vimeo site. Applicants can set up a Basic Vimeo account for free (vimeo.com). A Basic account allows for 500mb of video uploads per week and password protection for designated videos.
9. Five examples of student animations (if applicable) on a password protected Vimeo site
10. Include Vimeo password
Electronic application procedure:
• Submit all materials in a single PDF file in the order as listed above (1-10).
• Limit PDF file to size to 15MB or less and title the file as follows:
last name_first name_ma_faculty.pdf
• Email complete application file by clicking on the external application button with applicant’s last name in the subject line
• All correspondence regarding the search will be conducted via email. Include job MA Faculty Search in all correspondence.
• Only complete applications will be eligible for consideration.
Experience / Skills
Applicants should hold a Masters degree and/or demonstrate an equivalent level of professional achievement. The candidate will ideally be conversant with the production of both traditional 2D character and 3D animation, though specialization in one or the other is expected. Production experience in the areas of character design, storyboarding and concept development are desirable as well as the ability to teach conceptual and theoretical histories, readings and discussions related to the broadest definition of animation. The ideal candidate will have a working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software, ToonBoom, Harmony, and Maya, although those with a professional level of proficiency with any of these tools should feel encouraged to apply.
Previous teaching experience is preferred but not required, although the ability to communicate and function within a highly collaborative environment is necessary.
The successful candidates will also have:
• An ability to inspire and motivate students
• Enthusiasm for innovative teaching methods such as experiential and interactive learning
• An interest in collaboration and experimental projects with studio colleagues
• An enthusiasm for building a strong program grounded in experiential and active learning
• Support for the liberal arts as an integrated curriculum with the studio program
• A communication style that recognizes multiple and diverse points of view
About Minneapolis College of Art and Design
Founded in 1886, the Minneapolis College of Art and Design is a private, nonprofit teaching institution located in the Twin Cities. MCAD is an independent, accredited institution with 13 BFA degree programs in Fine Arts, Media Arts, and Design, a BS degree in Entrepreneurial Studies, as well as an established MFA program and online degrees. Dedicated to the creative and professional success of its students, MCAD is also an important participant in the Twin Cities' thriving cultural community. The state of Minnesota has long enjoyed and valued a rich cultural life that is furthered by the generous support of numerous private foundations. Ranked as the 16th largest metropolitan area in the nation, the area hosts 18 Fortune 500 Companies and seven of the largest private companies in the country. In 2014, CBRE rated Minneapolis as the greenest city in the nation. Notable cultural institutions include the Walker Art Center, the Guthrie Theater, the Minneapolis Institute of Art and the Weisman Art Museum. In addition, the Twin Cities are well known for the quality of their live theater, musical venues, galleries, art film houses and festivals, as well as a full array of professional sports teams. Bicycling Magazine recently named Minneapolis one of the most bike friendly cities in America.
MCAD offers a flexible and comprehensive benefit plan including medical, dental and 403(b) pension plans. After six months of service faculty receive free MCAD tuition for themselves, spouse and dependent children, and dependents may be eligible for free tuition at more than 600 colleges nation-wide.