Post Production Systems Engineer
The Post Production Systems Engineer is an integral engineering team member who will support our cutting-edge IT and Post Production technologies at Ringling Studios. The Systems Engineer will be reporting the Technical Director and working with a vast and complex array of technologies in an environment where the client comes first.
The ideal candidate for this job has a background in IT and experience supporting post-production, editing or animation, as well as a great attitude and a desire to do right by the end user. We work on a mixture of macOS, Linux, and Windows platforms. The ideal candidate possesses expert technical knowledge of feature and episodic workflows, techniques, and tools, and understands the challenges and goals of creative and technical teams alike. Every day brings new challenges and opportunities to make things better. We are looking for a self-motivated individual with a desire to grow which can identify areas for improvement and optimization and take the initiative to get it done. We offer cutting edge of Post Production and IT technologies.
* Deliver expert-level audio-related technical support for Ringling Studio's Post Production customers.
* Own, manage, and drive to resolution support cases for Ringling Studio's Post Production customers by utilizing any reasonable means available, such as:
- Comprehensive technical troubleshooting of problems relating to Avid Audio products (Pro Tools DSP and Native hardware/software systems, audio interfaces, synchronization devices, video playback peripherals, and control surfaces) in-person, over the phone or via online.
* Software and hardware defect reproduction, documentation, and escalation.
* Arranging repair and replacement orders for hardware and software.
* Thoroughly document support cases, bugs, and repair orders.
* Maintain adequate test-bed systems to reproduce and verify field-reported software and hardware defects as needed.
* Actively participate and contribute to the development of Ringling Studio's infrastructure, Post Production environment and processes.
* Work closely with other IT teams, external systems engineers and support personnel, vendors' support engineers, and customers during ongoing software and hardware defect investigations.
* Publish solutions to the online Ringling Studios knowledge base.
* Constantly develop and maintain knowledge of current post production workflows and technology.
* Assist fellow support technicians with technical issues and other tasks as needed.
* Deploy and support a range of hardware and software including video scopes, DCI projectors and cinema servers, OLED monitors, calibration tools, audio systems, video routers, patch bays, Avid Nexis, Avid Pro Tools, KVM systems, Operating Systems (macOS, Windows, Linux), BMD Resolve systems, Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Creative Suite, Colorfront Transkoder + EXD, DVS Clipster, Aspera Faspex and Signiant Media Shuttle.
* Troubleshoot application software issues, networking problems, and systems issues.
* Perform software installs and manage software licenses.
* Maintenance and monitoring of Storage Systems and Avid infrastructure and related peripherals.
* Liaise with vendors for technical support when required.
* Rapid response support for all client needing support.
* Research third party products and services to suggest the best tools for business requirements of Post Production.
* Stay up to date with industry standard tools and practices to maintain cutting edge infrastructure.
* Professional experience in a systems/IT support position or Post Production, ideally in a visual effects / editing / VR studio environment.
* Expert working knowledge of industry tools, work flows, and best practices.
* Expert working knowledge of video and audio file formats and industry standard and studio delivery specifications – particularly UHD and HDR (HDR 10, 10+, and Dolby Vision) workflows.
* Ability to foster strong working relationships with technical contacts with client and vendors.
* Ability to manage several projects at once – the organization is lean and individual responsibility is paramount.
* Ability and willingness to work pro-actively and offer solutions.
* A bias for action and ability to deliver mission critical support in a timely manner.
* Strong writing and verbal skills, particularly in communicating technical processes in a non-technical manner.
* A strong desire to deliver great looking, technically accurate content to our customers.
* Strong troubleshooting skills with creative software applications like Avid, Adobe, Final Cut Pro, Maya and related applications.
* Linux, Windows and OSX Operating System exposure.
* Excellent communication (both orally and written) and listening skills.
* Ability to understand and troubleshoot complex customer workflows.
* Ability to effectively prioritize challenges in response to operational needs and deadlines.
* Ability to maintain professional composure and get the job done under pressure, while being empathetic and reassuring to the client. The desire to make customers happy.
* BFA/BA/BS and/or 3-5 years proven experience in the audio technology sector.
* A background in, and a strong working knowledge of, and a passion for tools such as BMD Resolve systems, Avid Media Composer, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Creative Suite, Pro Tools software, hardware, plug-ins, control surfaces, and audio technology in general.
* A high degree of proficiency with computers (Mac and Windows operating systems).
* Familiarity with Post Production terminology, workflows, processes, and equipment.
Review of applications will begin January 3, 2019. Open until filled. Apply on-line at ringling.simplehire.com
Ringling College of Art and Design is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Post Production Systems Engineer