Manager, Transmission & Ingest Operations
A Manager is needed to support Transmission Planning and Ingest Operations for the NBC Sports Group Stamford facility including NBC Sports, NBC Sports Network, NBC Olympics, and Digital/Web content. Along with these groups, this position will work closely with the Manager, Transmission & Sr. Director of Transmission Engineering to plan, support and interact with NBC Sports and their partners.
This position will interface with clients and various show properties to ensure proper planning and communication. In addition, this position will oversee the operation and management of the ingest department. This includes, but is not limited to the oversight of schedules, managing and evolving workflows, procedures and discrepancy reporting. The manager also works closely with Production and BOC Operations personnel in order to oversee productions execution of live and/or taped content. This includes the planning, design and documentation of future Transmission needs for those events.
- Ensures the engineering designs, plans, maintenance and other activities resulting in a reliable transmission operation; inclusive of transmission lines, encoding/decoding, frame syncs, routing and scheduling systems.
- Prioritizes the quality and reliability of the ingest operations to all production clients.
- Interacts with transmission carriers to plan future events, resolve issues, escalations, maintenance, and overall performance.
- Ensures all maintenance windows are clearly communicated within the Sports Group properties impacted and all documentation for all of the vendors is clearly represented and communicated.
- Contributes to and helps augment the Design and Creation of standard operation procedures for all transmission technologies activities, which includes: audio/video and communications check-in, the QC process for remotes, outgoing transmission activity, and ingest. This includes linear Broadcast as well as digital stream creation.
- Responsible for the oversight of configuration, maintaining and troubleshooting of all transmission and communication systems to ensure maximum reliability for all live Sports productions.
- Creates and develop preventative system maintenance plans, problems resolution check list, and system for tracking transmission logs.
- Demonstrate Operational Knowledge of Scheduling and ingest automation systems.
- Responsible for day-to-day management and scheduling a team of Ingest Operators as well as augmenting management of the Transmission Operations and Engineering Staff.
- Ability to lead and maintain all technical Transmission and Ingest systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Broadcast, Engineering or related field, and/or equivalent work experience.
- At least one to three year(s) of direct management experience
- Experience with technical management and management of complex technical systems. This includes operational detail and developing process-oriented approaches to technical operations.
- Experience with broadcast television engineering operations and project management experience
- Must have knowledge of carrier network terminology and technologies, fiber optic technologies and coax transport, IP network design and operating flows, MPEG transport, encoding and decoding, Dolby-E, MATV/ IPTV, multi-way processors, standards converters, frame syncs, matrix based communications systems, and plant routing systems
- Ability to read and comprehend signal flow documents (CAD) as well as systems level troubleshooting and issue resolution.
- This position includes some operational type work as well as hands-on technical engineering and project management.
- Must be proficient with broadcast test and measurement equipment in addition to MS Office, Visio, and common project management tools (MS Project).
- Excellent communicator and be able to manage highly technical operations teams while interfacing with Engineering, Operations, Production, and 3rd party vendors.
- Must be able to multitask and manage in a high demand, ever changing, 24/7 environment.
- Must have the ability to manage projects, oversee design, document and manage new system technical Systems as well as workflows.
- Position requires a cool, level headed individual who works well under the pressures of “live” television.
- Ability to prepare and deliver written and oral communications of complex matters.
- Ability to escalate critical transmission and ingest problems quickly and efficiently in order to minimize disruptions and ability to work around failures to mitigate interruptions to the Live productions
- Position will require nights and weekend assignments
- Position may require occasional travel to remote sporting events, production locations and sites.
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Must be willing to work in Stamford, CT
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be willing to work nights and weekends
- It is the policy of NBCUniversal and NBCUniversal’ s affiliated businesses to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy) sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience of four years of management experience or 6-8 years of collective management and broadcast experience.