POSITION: Broadcast Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Broadcast Operations
REPORTS TO: Broadcast Operations Manager
FLSA STATUS: Exempt, Full-Time, Non-Union
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an excellent and immediate opening for a Broadcast Engineer for SMG/U.S. Bank Stadium. The ideal candidate is a highly technical individual that specializes in professional video and audio engineering, signal distribution, imaging technologies, production philosophies, and control room workflow. The position requires proficiency in fundamental technologies used in modern broadcast operations. This position is responsible for reception and distribution of audio and video services, including installation, operation and maintenance of equipment associated with the head-end and signal transmission network.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Conduct systems configuration of audio, video, and broadcast systems.
• Maintain, repair, and test all broadcast equipment and infrastructure throughout US Bank Stadium; including but not limited to fiber optic, SMPTE cable, triax, and other audio/video cabling, master control room servers, router, switcher, IPTV, and related equipment, RF systems, broadcast level cameras and peripherals, televisions, and other A/V equipment.
• Administer and troubleshoot any and all technical issues on-site. Should have a solutions-based mentality on problem-solving and a sense of urgency on resolving problems.
• Work with the sales and events departments to plan and plan and execute events while achieving full customer satisfaction.
• Estimate, track, and finalize costs for private events and internal projects.
• Other duties as assigned.
This position manages the full-time Broadcast Operations Coordinator and part-time event staff.
Experience / Skills
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
• A BA/BS degree in a field related to the position.
• A minimum of six years of experience in a broadcast, video production, or stadium/arena environment.
• Experience in live events, in-house production, and TV production.
• Additional experience may be substituted for education.
Skills and Abilities
• Ability to effectively manage staff.
• Proven ability to successfully plan, coordinate, and execute tactically and strategically.
• Good written, verbal, and interpersonal skills required; ability to interact with all levels of staff including management.
• Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
• Professional presentation, appearance, and work ethic.
• Must have experience with basic networking concepts for configuration, installation, and troubleshooting.
• Proficient skills related to installing and terminating various types of cable.
• Full understanding of:
o IP and baseband routing
o Ross Video broadcast equipment
o EVS Replay System
o Cisco Vision IPTV
o Daktronics LED systems
o Broadcast cameras and peripherals
• Ability to work with limited supervision and as a team member
• Requires ability to work flexible and extended hours, including nights, weekends and holidays, in addition to normal business hours
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to walk extensively, occasionally required to kneel, climb to high walkways, or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. This position requires work inside and outside of the building and some exposure to adverse conditions.
Note: The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Only candidates that apply through our online system will be considered.
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact 612-777-8725.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
About SMG - U.S. Bank Stadium
Founded in 1977, SMG provides management services to more than 230 public assembly facilities including convention and exhibition centers, arenas, stadiums, theatres, performing arts centers, equestrian facilities, science centers, and a variety of other venues.
U.S. Bank Stadium is not just a location, but an epicenter of excitement, opportunity, and Minnesota pride. The Vikings are an important part of our proud heritage and the relationship between the Vikings and the citizens of Minnesota runs deep. But the stadium is not just the home of the Minnesota Vikings, it’s a facility that hosts major national and international events that create economic, fiscal and social benefits to the region.
On February 4, 2018, U.S. Bank Stadium hosted its first Super Bowl, the second for the city of Minneapolis. Super Bowl LII brought 67,612 fans and 5,800 credentialed media to the stadium and reached 103 million television viewers worldwide. U.S. Bank Stadium also became the home of the first “Zero Waste” Super Bowl, with 91% of trash recycled. NFL Senior Vice President Peter O-Reilly classified Super Bowl LII as the “most ambitious and complicated Super Bowl planning process to date” and noted the SMG team “made us better and helped take Super Bowl to a new level.”
U.S. Bank Stadium hosted the NCAA Men's Final Four in April of 2019 and welcomed a record-setting sporting event attendance of 72,711 guests. The event was a tremendous success and proved that Minneapolis should continue to be viewed as a destination for major events.
Looking forward, U.S. Bank Stadium will continue to be the home to major events, including the 2020 NCAA DI Wrestling Championship and the Summer X Games through 2020.