William Jewell College invites applications for a full-time Assistant or Associate Professor of Digital Media Communication to begin August 2022. This is a tenure-track position with rank dependent on academic credentials and experience. The successful candidate will have a passion for undergraduate education, support efforts to grow the college’s digital media communication program, engage in scholarly research, and participate in curriculum development and assessment. This is a 9-month position, with the possibility of a tenth month dedicated to responsibilities associated with managing the digital media communication program. Preference will be given to applicants with strong communication skills, the ability to teach a range of undergraduate digital media communication courses, professional experience in digital media communication, and the desire to integrate fully into a critical thinking college.
• A Ph.D. in Communication, Journalism, Media, Graphic Design, Strategic Communication, or a related field required; ABD/MS with extensive relevant experience will be considered
• Undergraduate teaching experience in digital media communication
• Ability to teach classes in at least one of the following areas: coding, graphic design, or web design
• Ability to teach classes in related areas outside of digital media communication, such as public relations, social media marketing, communication, and/or journalism is also desirable
• Interest in developing and implementing curricula that address multicultural issues
• Demonstrated success in working with diverse populations of students
• Phi Beta Kappa members are encouraged to apply
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Teach up to 24 contact hours per year (i.e., three 4-credit courses per semester)
• Develop a program of scholarly activity
• Management of a growing digital media communication program, which may include supervision of the digital media lab, assessment of digital media faculty, budgeting, curriculum development, and program assessment
• Service to the College and community including academic advising and involvement in College and departmental committees and activities
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job.
Candidates must submit the following documents through the posting link:
• Letter of application that addresses the job qualifications, a response to the College mission, and a statement of how you would contribute to inclusivity and diversity on campus
• Curriculum vitae
• A statement of teaching philosophy, including commentary on essential elements of a strong digital media communication program at a liberal arts college
• Evidence of teaching effectiveness (teaching evaluations, supervisor observations, etc.), if applicable
• Statement of research plan and interests
• Undergraduate and Graduate Transcripts (copies are acceptable until finalists are selected)
• Three letters of recommendation will be requested for finalists
Applicants who need accommodation for the application or interview process, please make accommodation requests in advance to the Office of Human Resources.
William Jewell College
Office of Human Resources
500 College Hill Box 1017
Liberty, MO 6406
Review of applications will begin November 1, 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
Finalists for the position will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment.
Our Mission: We educate our community to ask reflective questions, apply critical thought and act with purpose.
We flourish by valuing: Authentic Engagement, Courageous Citizenship, Creative Expression, Inclusive Communities, Innovative Thought, and Spiritual Exploration
William Jewell College is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
About William Jewell College
Located in Liberty, Missouri, William Jewell College sits at the edge of urban and rural landscapes. In one direction are rolling hills and Midwestern countryside and in another direction the Kansas City skyline can be viewed. William Jewell, the “Critical Thinking College”, is a four-year, private college with a long history of cultivating thought leaders and innovators who have pursued meaningful lives throughout the world. Jewell has been called “the campus of achievement” in recognition of student’s prestigious scholarships and fellowships, placement in the country’s finest graduate schools and contributions to their professions and communities.
William Jewell College is consistently ranked for value and academics by the Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Washington Monthly, Money, U.S. News and World Report, The Princeton Review, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance.