Engineer in Charge
POSITION TITLE: Engineer in Charge
DEPARTMENT: IMS Productions, Broadcast Operations
REPORTS TO: Director, Engineering
POSITION LOCATION: Indianapolis and various remote locations
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
WORKER CATEGORY: Full-Time
VACCINATION STATUS: Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19
The Engineer in Charge position is responsible for the overall management, operation, and quality of the mobile unit. The role also has supervision of the 2nd maintenance engineer and driver of the mobile unit.
• Maintains interior and exterior mobile unit, is responsible for installation, maintenance, and repair of all systems on the unit
• Review and acknowledge remote orders prior to an event to ensure all equipment and systems requested are present and in good working order and identify any discrepancies
• Provides Management and Director of Engineer with accurate tech reports on shows and equipment within twenty-four hours after the completion of the event
• Responsible to maintain a unit maintenance log and follow up on repairs
• Participates in the training of new hire Engineers and Drivers
• Schedule, supervise and make recommendations regarding the performance of assigned personnel
• Supervises technical problems related to IMSP owned or rented equipment
• Assists Production staff with show setup
• As the IMSP on site representative, acts in accordance with the company's best interest
o Maintains a courteous and professional attitude at all times
o Customer Satisfaction is the number 1 priority
o Respond to client needs
• Evaluate technology trends and make recommendations regarding needed supplies and equipment. Also, give input to Supervisor on condition of mobile unit, parts needed and future capital requests
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with other employees and departments as well as the general public and clients
• Additional duties assigned by IMSP leadership
• This position supervises the 2nd engineer and driver assigned to the event. The role plans, organizes, prioritizes, and supervise the remote truck activities
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering preferred. Minimum requirement of an Associate’s degree in Electronics or 10 plus years’ experience in a remote truck operation
• Must have at least 5-7 years’ experience as an engineer in charge of large mobile unit and large-scale remote production
• Knowledge of:
o Theory and practice of all aspects of mobile video production
o Theory and practice in the design, implementation, maintenance, expansion and use of complex broadcast and presentation systems in a remote truck environment (tech manuals and drawings)
o Practices and procedures used in the design, installation, and maintenance of a wide range of broadcast equipment such as video recording systems (both tape and disk based), broadcast video cameras and monitors, video switchers and non-linear video editing systems
o Use of broadcast test equipment for evaluating analog and digital signals such as meters, function generators, waveform monitors, vectorscopes, spectrum analyzers, digital oscilloscopes, DVM, and computer communications interfaces among other equipment related with a TV system
o Sound safety procedures and practices applied to broadcast industries and remote television production.
o Laws, codes, regulations, policies and procedures related to broadcast activities.
o Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy
o Record-keeping and report preparation techniques
o Basic computer operations including Microsoft Office Suite and email
o Organizational skills as well as the ability to supervise crews
o Must be self-motivated as well as a good problem solver
o Must be skilled at client relations
o Must be experienced with current technology.
o Understand, follow, and develop oral and written communication
• The position is based in Indianapolis and travels to all INDYCAR events. More than likely required to work extended hours, may frequently work at night, and weekends.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate a computer, mouse and keyboard, broadcasting equipment and other office equipment, as needed
• While performing the duties of the job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, climb and descend stairs, talk, hear, use hand to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms; see depth-perception
• The employee is frequently required to lift up to 25 lbs. and on occasions may lift heavy objects weighing in excess of 50 lbs
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Working conditions are mainly inside of the remote truck, although outside work may need to be performed based on business demands. Must be adaptable to performing under frequent stressful conditions when confronted with an emergency.
Full-time employees enjoy a very competitive benefit package. Benefits include: Medical (including tax-advantaged Health Savings Account), Dental, Vision, 401(k) with 100% company match up to 5%, Paid Vacation, Personal & Sick Days, 10 Paid Holidays, Company Paid Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability, Paid Maternity / Paternity Leave, On-site Workout Facility, and more.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Penske Entertainment provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. The Company complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities and/or events.
About IMS Productions
IMS Productions is a premier, multi-faceted, multimedia production company located in Indianapolis, Indiana just across the street from the iconic Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Our Truck Department supplies broadcast facilities to NBC for all INDYCAR races and to the Indiana Pacers.