Are you a talented systems administrator, looking for an opportunity to make science films that change the world? Would you like to apply your technical skills to transform how people see their connection to our planet, nature, and the cosmos? The Planetarium Production Systems Administrator will play an integral role in the creation of beautiful cutting-edge science content showcased in San Francisco and planetariums around the world. You will design and maintain the infrastructure of our in-house, award-winning Visualization Studio (Viz Studio) comprised of a small team of visual effects artists and engineers creating science visualizations, animations, and fulldome imagery for planetarium programs. This position reports to the Senior Producer for Immersive Media.
Experience / Skills
- Linux/Mac systems and data server administration experience: RHEL7 or CentOS 7, macOSX
- Good understanding of TCP/IP networking, ethernet configuration, fiber switches; proven ability to troubleshoot and resolve network issues in a timely manner
- Knowledge of 3D and video production workstation architecture, custom CentOS and MacOSX operating system image testing and deployment
- Comfortable scripting with high-level programming languages (e.g., Python)
- Works well with cross-discipline and cross-departmental teams
- Open collaborator who tracks/shares projects’ progress proactively and regularly
- Self-starter with solid problem-solving abilities, a willingness to learn, attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and a sense of humor
About California Academy of Sciences | Morrison Planetarium & Science Visualization Studio
Life-changing moments. World-changing science. We’re an aquarium, planetarium, rainforest, and natural history museum in the heart of San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park—and a powerful voice for biodiversity research and exploration, environmental education, and sustainability across the globe.