Horizon League Overview
In its 43rd year of operation, the Horizon League continues to be one of the nation’s aspiring NCAA Division I athletics conferences while being recognized as a leader in the overall development of student-athletes.
The Horizon League’s vision is to be highly competitive in NCAA Division I, while developing student-athletes to their full potential. The League believes in the collegiate model of athletics anchored by four fundamental values: student-athlete development and well-being, integrity, respect and stewardship.
The Horizon League membership includes 12 institutions that have a storied tradition of broad-based
athletics programs. Membership includes Cleveland State University, the University of Detroit Mercy,
the University of Illinois Chicago, Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, Northern Kentucky
University, Oakland University, Purdue University Fort Wayne, Robert Morris University, the University
of Wisconsin-Green Bay, the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Wright State University and Youngstown State University.
JOB TITLE: Director of Creative Content and Communications
The Director of Creative Content and Communications will report to the Assistant Commissioner of
Messaging & Branding and will have responsibilities in the areas of messaging, communications and
branding. This position will be highly collaborative with the Director of Broadcasting & Student-Athlete
Health and Wellness in delivering messaging and content that aligns with the values and brand of the
Horizon League. Areas of responsibilities include the following:
Messaging, Communications and Branding
• Produce creative content including videos, graphics and motion graphics for the conference on
various messaging platforms (e.g., website, social media channels).
• Enhance brand awareness through social media, graphics and video.
• Spearhead the creation of engaging digital content to promote championships, accolades, awards
and recognition of the Horizon League, its members and student-athletes.
• Serve on League-wide NIL strategy group spearheading effort to educate and create
opportunities for student-athletes to learn about and capitalize NIL.
• Provide direct contributions and strategy in creation and execution of a comprehensive digital
strategy and content calendar that aligns with League’s brand and initiatives.
• Produce and distribute conference marketing kits and deliverables to campus for League
championships and initiatives.
• Responsible for creation and/or oversight of all content used to drive revenue and brand
exposure (sponsorship, PSAs, etc.).
• Provide insight to push messaging forward with emerging trends in social and digital media.
• Oversee the maintenance of video storage, organization and library.
• Serve as sport communication lead as needed.
Required Candidate Qualifications and Skills
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
• Minimum of three years experience working professionally in video production and graphic
design in college sports communications required.
• Advanced proficiency in use and knowledge of all social media platforms, specifically Facebook,
Instagram, Twitter and TikTok.
• Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Premiere Pro, Photoshop, After Effects.
• Ability to work with, manage and train students and part-time staff involved in production
• Collaborative leadership skills and the ability to work well with a variety of constituent groups
(SIDs, athletic directors, senior woman administrators, members of the media, coaches, NCAA
• Innovative and strategic social media experience with verifiable results.
• Travel and evening and weekend work is required.
• Ability to embrace and lead through change.
• Editorial judgement for distribution of press releases, social media posts and website content.
• The Conference offers a flexible work structure; however, the successful candidate must reside
in or relocate to the greater Indianapolis area.
Characteristics and Traits
• Capacity to juggle multiple responsibilities simultaneously in deadline-driven environment
• Attention to detail, accuracy in all work and strong written and communication skills.
• Professional, optimistic, positive problem-solver.
• Ability to thrive in a dynamic, continuously changing college athletics landscape.
• The ability to think creatively for solutions and strategies.
Cover letter, resume and three professional references must be emailed as single pdf file to
email@example.com. The deadline for submitting an application is June 1.
About Horizon League
The Horizon League’s vision is to be highly competitive in NCAA Division I, while developing student-athletes to their full potential. The League believes in the collegiate model of athletics anchored by four
fundamental values: student-athlete development and well-being, integrity, respect and stewardship.