Palm Beach Atlantic University (PBA), a private Christian institution located in West Palm Beach, Florida, seeks an inspiring and strategic Assistant/Associate Professor of Sports Broadcasting. Teaching will include interdisciplinary courses that integrate communication disciplines and draw on both pedagogical and professional experience. Normal teaching load is four courses each semester. Additional responsibilities include advising, developing, and delivering interdisciplinary courses; researching and publishing; mentoring and managing student publications. The entrepreneurial candidate will further enhance the excellence and vitality of the Sports Broadcasting program in accordance with the University mission. This academic program is located in the College of the Arts. Programs of study in the College include Art Education, Cinema Arts, Communication, Dance, Gaming, Graphic Design, Journalism, Music, Preparatory Department, Public Relations, Sports Broadcasting, Studio Art, and Theatre Arts. This position reports to the Chair of the Department of Visual and Media Arts. Rank is commensurate with credentials and experience.
• Ph.D. in Broadcast Journalism, Ph.D. in Communication with a concentration in Broadcast, or M.A in Broadcast Journalism with commensurate professional experience
• Demonstrated knowledge of sports broadcasting as an academic discipline and a practice
• An active Christian faith
• 3+ years of teaching experience at the university level
• 3+ years field experience in sports broadcasting, as evidenced by a portfolio of recent work
• Successful track record of course development and instruction as measured by student and administration evaluations
Summary of Job Duties
• Articulate and explore the relationship between press media and the civic good
• According to expertise, courses taught may include Introduction to Sports Broadcasting, Sports Broadcasting Lab, Broadcast Journalism, Sports Writing, and Sports Documentary Production, Nonlinear Editing, Sports Broadcast Performance
• Teach courses that emphasize the fundamentals of sports broadcasting
• Supervise Sailfish Athletics Sports Broadcasts
• Develop innovative coursework exploring the future of journalism and its place within the field of communication
• Conduct a program of rigorous scholarship
• Integrate Christian faith and pedagogy
• Participate in University service and faculty development programs
• Other duties as assigned by the Dean
The successful candidate will possess the soft skills and hard standards to work effectively with an increasingly diverse array of students and colleagues and will have a demonstrated commitment to creating, fostering and sustaining a culture that celebrates entrepreneurship, innovation, and collaboration in and out of the classroom. This person will excel in attention to detail, effective oral and written communication, consensus building, creative problem solving, professionalism, and intrinsic work ethic. The self-motivated person will bring the inspiration and enthusiasm required to advance creative momentum, ensuring the department’s achievements are broadcast widely and strategically.
Founded in 1968, Palm Beach Atlantic University is an interdenominational Christian institution with over 3,800 students in 60 academic undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. PBA’s programs are framed by a Christian worldview that is guided by accomplished experts and delivered in the breathtaking setting of West Palm Beach, Florida. PBA’s graduates launch lives of character, meaning, and accomplishment. From its presence in the academic curriculum, to weekly chapel, to service learning and mission trips, the faith-based foundation shapes the student experience and prepares them with the kind of ethical, principled outlook that today’s employers value.
Palm Beach Atlantic University’s offerings are proven and respected by top employers and elite graduate institutions. Its programs, such as the Frederick M. Supper Honors Program, offer distinctive, elevated learning opportunities. In addition, PBA’s six Centers of Excellence deepen students’ knowledge and skills and add dimension to the learning experience through distinctive programming, travel, fellowship, internship and networking opportunities. Finally, through PBA’s unique Workship Program, students are able to improve communities locally, around South Florida or in countries across the globe by building homes for those in need, assisting with natural disaster recovery efforts, tutoring and mentoring students in after school programs, and packing meals for families living in underserved communities. To date, PBA students have volunteered 4 million hours of service through Workship. In Fall 2020, the Wordship Program joined the PBA traditions of Worship and Workship to cultivate a practice of using our words wisely to edify others, including those with whom we disagree, as a form of worship. These three practices are the foundational, three-legged stool upon which the integration of faith and academics rests. In an effort to further recognize and celebrate our differences, the Council for Intercultural Engagement was created to foster a climate of trust and respect as it helps students, faculty, staff, and alumni to think differently about various cultures and diversity through a variety of unique perspectives.
Students attending PBA find a fun, energetic and opportunity-rich destination with 40+ student-run clubs providing the chance to develop important teamwork and leadership skills. PBA offers some of the finest learning resources and facilities with state-of-the-art medical simulation labs; an 86,000 square-foot Warren Library; the John & Sheila Rinker Sports Center and is part of PBA’s 78-acre Marshall and Vera Lea Rinker Athletic Complex, and Watson Hall, a 163,000 square-foot, eight-story residence hall opened in Fall 2020.
For more information about the university go to www.pba.edu
About Palm Beach Atlantic University
Palm Beach Atlantic University