Media Technology Specialist
Media Technology Specialist
Join our community and experience Emerson College!
The Media Technology Specialist is a versatile member of the Media Technology & Engineering department at Emerson College, responsible for ensuring seamless operation and maintenance of all media production equipment and facilities, including broadcast studios, edit suites, control rooms, and digital media labs. The Media Technology Specialist collaborates with a diverse team to provide comprehensive support across various media production environments on campus.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
• Provide hands-on engineering support to television studios, control rooms, newsrooms, soundstages, and remote production capabilities.
• Install, maintain, and repair studio and field equipment, including cameras, automation systems, control units, monitors, audio systems, lighting instruments, and more; maintain a detailed record of all parts/supplies used and associated labor costs.
• Manage media servers, digital asset management systems, and networked audio and video environments.
• Ensure proper functioning, organization, and accessibility of media assets.
• Install, configure, and integrate audiovisual equipment across classrooms, event spaces, conference rooms, and production facilities.
• Provide support for technology issues escalated from frontline staff.
• Troubleshoot and maintain existing AV control systems and components.
• Create and maintain accurate technical documentation, i.e. equipment inventory, wiring diagrams, and schematics.
• Provide technical training and guidance to staff members regarding the use and troubleshooting of media production equipment.
• Collaborate with various teams on projects (i.e. Facilities, Infrastructure).
• Manage project integration and collaboration using current online services like Zendesk, Asana and Webcheckout.
• Stay current with media production equipment and industry trends, attending trade shows, product demonstrations, and industry conferences.
• Provide insights for continuous improvement and innovation in media technology.
QUALIFICATIONS - Qualifications are deemed required or preferred and represent what is needed to effectively perform job.
• Associate's Degree and 10+ years of experience in electrical engineering, broadcast engineering, media technology, digital media, or equivalent professional experience required OR Bachelor's Degree and 7+ years of experience in electrical engineering, broadcast engineering, media technology, digital media, or equivalent professional experience required
• Proficiency in industry-standard software, codecs, and production workflows
• Strong understanding of audio and video signal measurement, networking, and system integration
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES - May be representative, but not all-inclusive, of those knowledge, skills, and abilities commonly associated with the job.
• Expertise in audio and video systems, video formats (SDR, HDR etc.), streaming workflows, signal flow, and troubleshooting methodology
• Proficiency in electronics repair and maintenance, including soldering and use of relevant equipment
• Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work collaboratively in a dynamic, multidisciplinary team environment
PHYSICAL ABILITIES - Activities commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Ability to lift and move objects up to 50 lbs.
• Ability to work in various environments, including equipment rooms and production spaces.
WORK ENVIRONMENT - Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
• Varied work environments including offices, equipment/machine rooms, and maintenance shops.
• Use of chemicals common to electronic equipment maintenance and repair.
Disclaimer: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws. Certain job duties described herein may be subject to possible modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
Compensation for this position will be between $ 40.96 - $ 51.20 hourly, commensurate with experience.
Grade of Position: S-23-11NE
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 36.25
This position will be exclusively represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), Local 888 for purposes of wages, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
In addition to a competitive salary, Emerson College is committed to the health and well-being of our employees and family members. We offer a generous benefits package to regular staff scheduled to work 20+ hours per week.
Benefits include outstanding health plans with limited out-of-pocket expenses, dental plans, generous time-off programs, and a 403(b) retirement benefit with a 9% employer contribution once eligible. Additional benefits such as life and disability coverage as well as commuter offerings are available.
Please refer to our https://hr.emerson.edu/hc/en-us/categories/360001388353-Benefits for a full list of benefits and eligibility requirements.