• Lead, manage and oversee the athletic communications, media and broadcasting units in addition to providing the necessary training and oversight in support of athletics media, communications and broadcasting
• Provide direction for the office, personnel decisions, create and maintain the Department’s publications and communication plan; maintain statistical information and photo archives; and budget management for division
• Serve as a member of the athletics department administrative leadership team and involved with long and short-term planning for the overall department
• Develop and implement a strategic communication and crisis management plan
• Develops and updates media communications policy and procedures
• Review and revise structure, procedures of the athletic media and communications office as necessary
• Sport(s) oversight as well as responsibility to write and disseminate news and feature articles on KSU athletic programs, events, student-athletes and coaches
• Responsible for overseeing multiple media and communications facets while ensuring full compliance with all NCAA rules and regulations
• Experience with radio, television and internet broadcasting in addition to video operations
• Promote and manage the Department’s positive relations and communications with local and national media to increase brand awareness and coordinates coach and student-athlete appearances with media either directly or through subordinates
• Oversee all aspects of athletics website
• Assist the Director of Athletics, coaches, staff and student-athletes with public relations appearances, crisis control and special projects
• Work within the Department of Athletics to assist in promoting ticket sales, special events and promotions, support the implementation of marketing strategies and the Department’s efforts to raise funds and monetary support for athletics
• Work with athletics staff to nominate student-athletes for academic and athletic honors, scholarships and awards in conjunction with coaches
• Other duties as assigned
As part of the background check process, this position WILL require a satisfactory Consumer Credit check and MVR (Motor Vehicle Report) as a condition of employment.
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and/or veteran status.
For more information about policy and guidelines please follow the external link application.
Experience / Skills
This position requires a minimum of a Bachelors degree and four years of experience in either intercollegiate administration or professional sports administration or coaching positions related to an accepted functional intercollegiate athletic program discipline. The applicant should be able to demonstrate successful performance in at least one of the accepted disciplines over an extended period of time. Reasonable alternative career positions maybe considered where successful experience in an accepted transferrable discipline can be demonstrated.
• Master's degree with three years or more of related experience in athletic communications at the collegiate level. Must have a comprehensive understanding of athletic media relations and video operations units.
• Outstanding writing, communication and interpersonal skills, a strong working knowledge of Stat Crew in-game statistical program; proficient in desktop publishing and website management with accompanying software; proficient with social media; flexibility to travel and work nights and weekends required.
• High degree of integrity; demonstration of good judgment and the ability to respond quickly and deal successfully under pressure and in a very open and public environment; must be able to meet deadlines and coordinate multiple tasks; use independent judgment.
• Strong leadership skills that encompass knowledge of NCAA rules and a history of rules compliance is of paramount importance
• Expertise in InDesign, Dreamweaver, PhotoShop, StatCrew and related software programs
• Familiarity with news reporting, television, radio production, media sales, web streaming
• Insight and connections into the inner workings of the media in the Atlanta market area
About Kennesaw State University
A leader in innovative teaching and learning, Kennesaw State University offers more than 150 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees to its more than 35,000 students. With 13 colleges on two metro Atlanta campuses, Kennesaw State is a member of the University System of Georgia and the third-largest university in the state. The university's vibrant campus culture, diverse population, strong global ties and entrepreneurial spirit, draw students from throughout the region and from 92 countries across the globe. The university’s alumni network is 100,000 strong. A Carnegie-designated doctoral institution, it is one of the 50 largest public institutions in the country.