Under the direction and supervision of the Director of Marketing and Community Relations, the Graphic Design & Brand Specialist is responsible for the timely completion of marketing and public relations projects for all operations of the District. This highly creative position is responsible for all aspects of design and production of print, digital and video communication and advertising materials to meet specific District goals and objectives. This is a Marketing Department, full-time position with a normal work week of a minimum of 40 hours. Position expected to work nights or weekends on occasion.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
1. Familiar with the scope of service provided by parks and recreation services organization.
2. Ensures that marketing materials are targeted to the right consumer, with the right message at the right time. Individual should actively apply advertising, communication, marketing and public relations strategies and tactics to current efforts, adapt efforts and generate new efforts for the benefit of the Park District.
3. Displays original thinking and creativity. Meets challenges with resourcefulness. Generates suggestions for improving work. Develops innovative approaches and ideas. Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
4. Assists in collaboration and counsel to internal clients across multiple departments to develop and produce advertising, promotional collateral and other materials to increase business and customer retention.
5. Position responsibilities fall into three broad categories: Graphic Design, Video Design and Digital Content and General Support.
6. Graphic Design – Includes art direction, layouts and final production of assigned materials (i.e. flyers, banners, direct mail, park district seasonal brochures, signs, forms, logos, newsletters, publications, videos, animations, advertisements) using supplied graphic software (Adobe Cloud)
7. Responsible for continuously updating and improvement of the seasonal brochure including specifications, bid process and final product. Proposes new ideas related to the seasonal brochure to the Director of Marketing and Community Relations.
8. Manage quality, content, design and public image of all projects and products including the district's logo(s) use.
9. Research and keep abreast of trends in the design industry, including new design techniques, software and hardware tools and make recommendations for incorporating techniques and tools needed to accomplish projects in the most efficient and impactful manner.
10. Video Design and Digital Content - Assists in the planning, management and organization of video and graphic content for use online. Creates and coordinates photographs, images, video content, and tables.
11. Generates video/digital content for the website, social media and other platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Google +, Blogger, electronic signboards, apps, WebTrac, YouTube, Single Platform, Instagram).
12. Other- Manage vendor RFP's and bidding process for large communications purchases (printing) as well as obtaining quotes and managing external vendors for all other print projects.
13. Assists with the hiring and supervision of freelance designers, photographers and videographers.
14. Operates audio visual equipment such as, but not limited to cameras, camcorders, and videotape recorders/players as assigned. Assists with the maintenance of digital equipment with the assistance of technology staff as needed.
15. Archives all working and finished files in the M drive in an organized and comprehensive manner.
16. Ability to read analyze and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, business correspondence, procedure manuals, general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations.
17. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization. Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Listens and gets clarification.
18. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar. Varies writing style to meet needs. Presents numerical data effectively.
19. Demonstrates group presentation skills. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
20. Understands business implications of decisions. Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals. Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures. Conserves organizational resources.
21. Treats people with respect. Keeps commitments. Inspires the trust of others. Works with integrity and ethically. Upholds organizational SOFFI values.
22. Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time.
23. Generates a monthly report of accomplishments for use in the Marketing Department Board Report
24. Works closely with Public Relations and Sponsorship Specialist and Marketing Assistant to complete assignments including the need for copy, print tasks, and the like.
25. Attend events as needed.
26. All other duties as assigned.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Identifies and attends approved trainings and seminars to advance skills and stay abreast of new marketing trends.
2. Serve on internal committees as assigned.
3. Assist the Director of Marketing and Community Relations with administrative duties, as needed.
4. Assist the Executive Director in the absence of the Director of Marketing and Community Relations, as assigned.
The physical demands of this position are minimal. Most of your job will be at a desk or on site for program or event delivery. Occasionally movement of supplies, equipment, or uniforms is necessary in which case the maximum weight that you are expected to be able to lift is 25 lbs., though typically it will be less than this. Some bending, twisting, and kneeling may be necessary at your desk or in support of marketing supply deliveries or promotional set-ups.
Experience / Skills
• Experience - A minimum of five years of related video, graphic design, marketing experience. Graphic design experience in a related position with a recreation, sports or fitness organization preferred.
• Education - Bachelor's degree in Graphics Design with outstanding skills in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, photography and video creation. Requires a highly organized and detail oriented professional with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
• Skills - A high level of desktop publishing, graphic design, and print production knowledge required. Familiarity with basic HTML and proficiency with Joomla, WordPress and/or current web content management systems. Moderate proficiency with video editing software including Adobe Premiere Pro or like software. Must be competent in the latest versions of Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. Thorough knowledge of personal computers and Microsoft Office including a strong use of Word, Excel and PowerPoint required. Must have or quickly possess a basic understanding of District’s registration software (RecTrac) for gathering marketing data for use in promoting registration or in the production of the District’s seasonal brochure. Experience in managing social media and digital advertising required. Experience using a digital camera and manipulating files for use in various formats required. Candidate must also possess excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must possess significant experience with project coordination and management with careful attention to details and deadlines.
• Certifications – Must have a valid driver’s license. First-Aid, CPR, and AED certifications are required within 90 days and must be maintained.
• Competencies - The Graphic Design and Brand Specialist is innovative and a self-starter. This position must possess a thorough understanding of marketing and advertising principles as they apply to major programming areas including fitness, preschool, aquatics, special events, athletics, general park district programs and parks and recreational trends. Ability to stay abreast of the latest marketing trends and tactics especially as they relate to major program areas. A high level of accuracy, attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously. Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work assignments. Ability to exercise considerable initiative, ingenuity and independent judgment in the performance of work assignments.
About Gurnee Park District
Gurnee Park District, a municipal governing agency, provides parks, recreation facilities and programs for its residents. We are a nationwide leader in our field, and strive to be the premier provider of community-driven and innovative park and recreation experiences. Our mission, “promoting fun and preserving nature”, is at the heart of all of our programs and services.