POSITION SUMMARY: MLB Network seeks a Specialist, Affiliate Operations with strong knowledge and passion for baseball and hockey as well as the cable and media industries. The Specialist, Affiliate Operations will spearhead affiliate technical/operational efforts (including but not limited to: launch authorizations, blackout implementation, VOD and TV Everywhere) for MLB Network and NHL Network with traditional and virtual MVPDs worldwide.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Specific responsibilities include:
• Organize launch authorizations and perform blackout-related activity and responsibilities for MLB Network and NHL Network– primary internal liaison and external communicator to affiliates
• Manage and coordinate technical distribution of Strike Zone
• Oversee planning, distribution and reporting of MLB Network and NHL Network VOD products
• Project manage current processes and new processes for blackout implementation on digital and virtual platforms
• Ensure distribution of MLB Network and NHL Network across contracted league and club hotels nationwide
• Serve as primary affiliate liaison to external delivery and transmission partners (e.g. Comcast Wholesale, Encompass, Vubiquity, etc.)
• Prepare all daily and weekly affiliate blackout communication
• Prepare team territory lists for distribution to NOC Supervisors
• Prepare bonus coverage charts and notifications
• Create and maintain team territory maps
• Manage bonus coverage re-tunes with external affiliated MVPDs and internal contacts (Operations and NOC Supervisors)
• Attend Conditions meetings, work with NOC Director to write and communicate daily plans for Master Control operators
• Assist or provide backup to NOC Supervisor for re-tunes of IRDs on game days
• Support CP or producer on blackout rules for bonus coverage and regionalization
• Review all VimBiz reports for blackout, headend signal or affiliate issues
• Follow-up calls with headend techs and engineers at the systems and regional offices
• Follow up on blackout discrepancies – gather information for management and troubleshoot when necessary.
- Resident expert on TV Everywhere and emerging technologies as used in the industry to executive team when necessary
- Answer general questions from affiliate sales hotline
- Provide backup to technical hotline
- Other such duties as required
Experience / Skills
The ideal candidate must have most if not all of the following skills and experiences:
• A minimum of 4-6 years’ experience in cable affiliate sales and marketing, sports media, and/or media operations is required.
Candidate must be proficient in Excel, PowerPoint and Word
Candidate must be familiar with MLB and NHL broadcast territories and apply knowledge effectively.
Ability to work effectively with Production, Engineering and Broadcasting departments.
Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
Must possess a high level of attention to detail and superior follow up skills.
Must be available evenings and weekends as necessary.
Individual must work well in a dynamic environment and be able to recommend and implement process improvements.
Demonstrate the tact, diplomacy, decisiveness, and superior people skills required in the pressurized environment of live television.
Must be extremely organized, detail-oriented and able to work across multiple projects, and across entire organization.
Ability to organize and schedule work effectively.
Ability to work well independently and under time constraints.
Successful at effective multi-tasking.
Strong leadership experience.
Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills. Positive can-do attitude with demonstrated creativity, initiative and persistence.
Ability to persuade and resolve problems in a professional manner.
Ability to travel domestically and/or internationally as needed.
Ability to lift up to 20 pounds.
Possess the manual dexterity needed to effectively create required work product.
Possess the visual acuity needed to effectively create required work product.
Possess the auditory acuity needed to effectively create required work product.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree is required.