Discovery, Inc is the leader in global real-life entertainment with powerful brands in sports such as GOLFTV, Eurosport, Global Cycling Network and Golf Digest. Discovery’s sports brands aim to be the global leader in digital sports experiences for consumers and is seeking a Vice President – Technology to oversee the planning, development, implementation and operations of technology solutions that fulfil this vision for global leadership in sports.
Reporting to a Senior Vice President - Digital Product and Technology, this role will play a critical strategic role in the future direction of Discovery’s sports initiatives. The role will be based in either New York City or London and will require significant global travel given the footprint of Discovery’s sports brands.
1. Overall responsibility for the technology architecture for a direct to consumer vertical within the Discovery sports portfolio of brands
2. Development and implementation of proprietary systems and integration of third party systems in support of Discovery’s direct to consumer sports products
3. Strategic planning and the development of technology roadmaps to support business unit goals and objectives
4. Management of third party technical relationships, to include both rights owners (e.g. sports leagues) and technology partners / vendors.
5. Management / oversight of internal technical staff and contractors.
Experience / Skills
* A minimum of ten years of experience in technology with management responsibility for delivering full-stack technology solutions, either for a technology company / media company or as a partner to a technology company / media company. A preference will be given to candidates with direct experience in sports and/or the delivery of direct to consumer product solutions across multiple environments (iOS and Android apps, web, connected devices, and third party distribution partners).
* Technical architecture for environments that integrate video management systems (VMS), content management systems (CMS) and consumer-facing data management systems (including user management services, subscription management services, and sports data services). Technical systems include a mix of cloud based systems (e.g. Amazon Web Services / Microsoft Azure), internal proprietary systems, and third party systems. Although not required, the ideal candidate will also have experience with ad delivery platforms (both video and display advertising).
* Proven development and deployment of development and production systems globally, including low latency / high availability consumer-facing systems at scale. These development and production systems will have integrated multiple technical systems, including internal proprietary systems, third party partners and outsourced solutions.
* Technical solutions that power compelling and immersive experiences for consumers that integrate video, data and text / graphics commentary.
* A self starter who has the ability to manage teams autonomously with relatively little oversight and the ability to independently manage towards quarterly / annual goals. In addition, a proven technical leader who has been successful managing / mentoring / developing technical employees across multiple geographies and time zones.
* A proven record of supporting business objectives and commercial goals, including working with non-technical stakeholders and translating technical initiatives into business requirements and vice versa. Agility in this context is essential and a preference is given to candidates who have worked in fast-paced rapidly changing environments with a high degree of uncertainty.
* A track record of innovation and entrepreneurship, especially in delivering cutting edge solutions against problems where there are no known industry solutions.
* A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering or related fields (or equivalent training / work experience) is mandatory. Preference will be given to individuals with a graduate degree in these fields / related fields or a compelling story where the candidate has forgone / dropped out of formal higher education to pursue professional opportunities.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
About Discovery Communications, Inc.
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.