Amazon Instant Video is disrupting the traditional television and movie industry with a massive selection of high-quality media for live streaming and download. Our services are engineered for high availability, maximum reach, and low operating costs which translate into affordable prices for our customers. We enable the world to watch video instantly, whether we're on the road, cramped in an airplane seat, or enjoying a show from the comfort of the living room sofa. AIV delivers Movies and TV shows to Windows and MacOS PCs, portable devices, gaming consoles, and smart TVs. Today, we serve customers in the US, Japan, UK, and Germany, and we aspire to grow-- a lot.
The Live Playback team delivers consistent, elite customer experiences which "just work" for everyday consumers. We build reliable, high performance live experiences, and we take ownership of the end-to-end live streaming experience-- from the live encoding core platform out through AIV's client applications. Our team makes a big impact because nothing is more important to us than pleasing our customers, continually earning their trust, and thinking long term. If you crave a sense of ownership, this is the place to be.
Our Live Operations team is looking for a passionate, results-oriented, hard-working and operationally focused Support Engineer to support the fast evolving and expanding video eco-system, especially for live events. You will have an enormous opportunity to work within multiple systems analyzing and identifying the common issues, and driving the teams towards resolution to have a positive impact on customer experience. This job requires you to hit the ground running and your ability to learn quickly and work on disparate and overlapping tasks will define your success. The role encompasses providing production ticket support (tier-3 support, escalations to engineering teams) for multiple products and platforms, executing the live successful streaming delivery of live sporting events to our customers, engineering development support, business decision making support, communicating with on-site production teams and encoding partners, and driving the overall event in a call leader capacity.
Some of the key job functions:
· Support multiple live streaming events concurrently working as the Engineer in Charge in the room
· Understanding of HLS, DASH, h.264, h.265 technologies and systems for OTT delivery
· Provide support of incoming tickets, including extensive troubleshooting tasks
· Work on operations and maintenance and driving improvements, automation
· Ability to develop tools to aid operations and maintenance.
· Ownership of one or more Video products or components.
· Customer notification and workflow co-ordination and follow-up to maintain service level agreements.
· Work with senior engineers and other teams for handing-off or taking over active support issues, prioritizing root-cause fixes with engineers and creating a team specific knowledge base and skill set.
Experience / Skills
· BS in Computer Science, Engineering or a related technical field, or relevant technical experience.
· Knowledge of streaming video pipelines and technologies
· Strong understanding of operations support and incident management - ticket creation and escalation, operations monitoring, process improvements, and metrics reporting
· Proven ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues, you're a natural problem solver!
· Excellent written communication skills - process and training documentation and technical papers
· Excellent interpersonal and customer relationship skills
· Demonstrated skill and passion for operational excellence.
· Experience with Video Quality Metric Tools
· Knowledge of encoding hardware/software, i.e., ffmpeg, Harmonic, Elemental.
· 2+ years overall development/technical support experience.
· 1+ years of live video streaming experience.
· Experience working in a production or master control facility
· Basic knowledge of AWS systems and services.
· Experience as a Program or Project Manager
· Basic knowledge of networking systems and hardware installation
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation