Putting technology to work at Georgia State University. Are you passionate about technology, your clients’ success, and looking to make a difference? Ranked the #2 Most Innovative National University by US News and World Report, Georgia State is a leading force in the digital transformation of higher education. Georgia State's central technology services group, Instructional Innovation and Technology (IIT), seeks to inspire, support, and enable innovative solutions to advance learning, research and economic enterprise. IIT is leading the pursuit to find solutions to the unique challenges associated with information technology and serve as leaders in a global network of knowledge creation and sharing by earning the role of valued partners and trusted advisors for evolving technology solutions, discovering, creating and implementing new models of higher education for a community of diverse learners, creating and supporting innovative solutions that improve the lives of our students, our city and our state, attracting, developing and retaining talented and capable professionals and fostering an innovative culture of leaders where collaboration, ownership, creativity and efficiency are key.
Georgia State University’s Instructional Innovation and Technology (IIT) is seeking a multi-faceted Broadcast Engineer to join our vibrant and growing team. The Broadcast Engineer, Lead guides the design, upgrade path, maintenance, and operational effectiveness of broadcast and live production environments for Georgia State University and IIT. This position provides an understanding to complex issues that surround the design, maintenance, and implementation of broadcast systems and production environments. Knowledge within this position includes mastery of both live production and broadcast audio and video workflow technologies associated as well as modern networking concepts within production and broadcast environments. The Learning Environments Broadcast Engineer, Lead supports the interactions between technical support issues, design best practices, and customer requirements. This position is responsible for staying abreast of emerging technologies and how those technologies can be applied with regards to maintaining and improving our production and broadcast environments.
This position maintains communication between multiple University and some external groups involved in the complex task of producing broadcasts and live events in IIT supported venues at Georgia State University. The Broadcast Engineer, Lead has extensive knowledge and experience with the following concepts and technologies: broadcast video and audio routers, Dante audio, digital video and audio distribution and switching, SMPTE fiber connected video cameras, signal distribution over fiber optic cable, broadcast camera maintenance, ClearCom or RTS intercom systems, NDI workflow, advanced IP networking skills, multi-venue/centralized broadcast suite, broadcast graphics and replay systems. The Broadcast Engineer, Lead is responsible for ensuring all broadcast and live systems are properly configured and supported for all broadcast and live events in IIT supported venues and includes coordination with any external entities needing connectivity into or throughout any IIT supported venue.
The scope responsibility will include these essential duties but is not limited to the following,
• Command advanced broadcast audio, video, and networking technologies including broadcast video camera operation and maintenance / digital video and audio switching and routing / communications systems / graphics insertion / replay / and NDI connectivity, operation, and configuration.
• Lead the discussion of holistic design principles within broadcast and production environments including the convergence of technology and environmental solutions for live event and broadcast best practices.
• Coordinate installation, preventive maintenance, operation, expansion, and upgrades of production and broadcast environments with major campus groups such as GSU Athletics, Event Management, and Facilities Management.
• Research, develop, and integrate new broadcast and live production technologies to enhance interoperability of systems, streamline operations, and ensure high quality live production and broadcasts.
• Act as game-day engineer at broadcasted athletic events and other live productions as directed. Possess engineering and operational knowledge in all associated systems to enable reliability of service and rapid return to services in the event of a failure.
• Assist the chief engineer in maintaining relationships and communicating effectively with GSU Athletics, Event Management, and other campus groups.
• Oversee the setup, maintenance, and operational condition of all broadcast and live production equipment and report to the lead or chief engineer any issues that need to be addressed.
Experience / Skills
Preferred Hiring Qualifications
The preferred candidate should possess the following attributes,
• Five or more years supporting live broadcast TV environments.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Extensive knowledge and experience with IP network and traditional broadcasting technologies.
• Experience maintaining live or broadcast production environments.
Minimum Hiring Standards
Bachelor’s degree and three years of related experience, or a combination of education and related experience.
To be fully considered for this position all candidates at the time of submission must provide the following documents that clearly provides proof of education and relevant experience,
• A complete and accurate GSU application
• Cover letter
• List 3 professional references
Applicants must apply via GSU.
About Georgia State University
Georgia State University, an enterprising public research university, transforms the lives of students, advances the frontiers of knowledge and strengthens the workforce of the future. The university provides an outstanding education and exceptional support for students from all backgrounds. Georgia State readies students for professional pursuits, educates future leaders, and prepares citizens for lifelong learning. Enrolling one of the most diverse student bodies in the nation, the university provides educational opportunities for tens of thousands of students at the graduate, baccalaureate, associate, and certificate levels.
Georgia State’s scholarship and research focus on solving complex issues ranging from the most fundamental questions of the universe to the most challenging issues of our day. The scholarly work and artistic expression of the university’s faculty create new knowledge, extend the boundaries of imagination, and enhance student learning. The university’s presence in the Atlanta metropolitan area provides extraordinary experiential learning opportunities and supports the work of faculty tackling the challenges of an urbanizing nation and world.