Magno was founded in 1950 by Ralph Friedman, the sound man for the future television classic, Candid Camera. Ralph wasn’t preoccupied with thoughts about the program’s eventual place in TV history, however, he was too busy dealing with complex audio challenges such as hiding a bulky broadcast microphone in the leg of a department store mannequin, or wiring a mailbox so it could “talk.”
In the midst of these challenges, Ralph realized he was witnessing – and participating in – the emergence of a new medium poised to define the next, exciting generation of mass entertainment. He also recognized that the burgeoning television industry would confront numerous challenges similar to the ones he had already faced, so created his own facility to handle them – Magno Sound. Magno set up shop in Times Square, ultimately moving to the historic building originally designed exclusively for motion picture companies – including Mary Pickford’s “Pickford Film Company.” 729 Seventh Avenue remains the company’s headquarters to this day.
Magno originally focused on audio, recording and mixing for TV programs and motion pictures. From there – as has become a hallmark of the company – Magno evolved: adding new film and audio post services throughout the 1950s and 1960s and then, in the 1970s, helping to spearhead the video revolution by becoming one of the first U.S. facilities to offer film-to-tape services on the Rank Cintel Telecine.
More than 60 years later, Magno is an industry powerhouse that ranks as one of the East Coast’s largest and most comprehensive post-production facilities. Led by Bob Friedman and David Friedman, Magno employs some of the most exceptionally creative and experienced professionals who provide an ever-growing range of diverse services for film and TV from Magno’s Times Square headquarters.