Jeff Simmons is an award-winning photojournalist whose career spans over twenty-five years. Story assignments have taken him across the nation and throughout the world-- from helicopters in the jungles of Bolivia to sunken wrecks deep in the Atlantic. Shooting is not just a job for him, it is his passion. Among Jeff’s many achievements are following:
• National Press Photographers Association Region 6 Photographer of the Year
• Six Emmy Awards
• Gabriel Award
• Chicago International Film Festival Silver Plaque Award (Documentary)
• Over twenty-five awards from the Society of Professional Journalists including Excellence in Journalism, Best of Show, and Best Photography
• Edward R. Murrow awards from the Radio, Television, News Directors Association
• Eight awards from the Associated Press, including Best Photography and Best Documentary
Jeff worked for KUSA-TV in Denver, the most celebrated photography station in the country. In his five years at KUSA, the photo staff won NPPA Station of the Year three times. As Chief Photographer, at WJXT-TV in Jacksonville, Florida, he was instrumental in the station, winning a Columbia-Dupont Award for a news special on the ravages of crack cocaine. For the last fifteen years, he was the Producer/Photographer for Special Projects at WTVT-TV in Tampa. This unit produced sweep specials and stories for the entire FOX network.
Currently a freelance photographer, Jeff’s clients now include all the television networks, magazine shows including 60-Minutes and Dateline, as well as the Travel Channel, PBS and Extra. He is also an accomplished underwater and snow skiing photographer.
Jeff is a graduate of California State University, Chico.
I have been in the industry since 1981.