3-time Emmy Award winning TV journalist, producer, writer & interviewer; book author; nationally-syndicated print writer/reporter (newspapers, magazines, web); 20+ years experience.
• Emmy Award winning, nationally-recognized TV documentary producer, writer and interviewer (PBS) in Los Angeles, St. Louis and Jacksonville FL markets;
• Emmy Award winning TV news/feature reporter in major market (WCIX, Miami, Fox affiliate);
• 300+ appearances on CNN (Cable News Network) as an on-camera Miami feature reporter;
• Corporate TV producer/writer (500+ videos, 100+ clients—Fortune 500, U.S. Gov, non-profits);
• Conducted 10,000+ interviews (for TV and print), including hundreds of newsmakers and celebrities (David Letterman, President Reagan, Apollo 13 astronaut Jim Lovell, Tom Hanks);
• Writer, 4,000+ television & video scripts: 2-minute TV news stories, 30-60 minute documentaries, 5 minute—2 hr. corporate/educational/instructional video & DVD programs;
• Writer, 100+ newspaper & magazine feature articles (national, regional, local);
• Awards Summary: 3 Emmys, 10 Emmy Nominations, UPI Award for Excellence, World’s Best Environmental TV Documentary, Florida’s Best Public Affairs TV Program (‘07-‘09).
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
TV: Writer, Producer, On-Camera Talent for Documentaries; TV news and features; children’s programming; reality programming; commercials; PSAs. Develops creative concepts in all genres.
PRINT: Writer/Editor. Books; magazine, newspaper & web articles; news releases; newsletters; press kits; brochures; proposals; advertising/marketing copy; educational materials; DVD covers; movie posters.
CORPORATE/GOVERNMENT/NON-PROFIT: Writer/Producer. Educational videos for internal communications; marketing; PR; HR; new employee orientation; motivation; sales; safety; fundraising; product rollout.
Personal qualities: Very creative. Fast turnaround. Quick study. Works within a budget. Works exceptionally well with others. Meets all deadlines. Thorough, hard-working, enterprising.
RECENT HIGHLIGHTS: TELEVISION DOCUMENTARIES
Sole producer, writer, interviewer: Ax Handle Saturday—50 Years Later (lost story of the civil rights movement). Aired Aug.’10 & Feb.’11, WJCT, other PBS Florida outlets. Regional/national run, fall ’11.
Won 2 Emmy Awards, ‘09 (Best Historical Program and Individual Achievement Award in Writing), for Kiss of Life (backstory of the world-famous 1968 Pulitzer Prize winning photograph). Served as sole producer, writer, interviewer & narrator. Aired prime-time, WJXT-TV, Post-Newsweek station.
Sole producer, writer, interviewer, 2 nationally-recognized environmental documentaries (’07 & ’08): The Green Monster—It Came From The River and Revenge of the River—It’s Payback Time. Served as sole producer, writer and interviewer. Both aired prime time, WTLV-TV, Jacksonville FL, NBC affiliate.
Green Monster took 1st place at “Awards for Reporting on the Environment,” international competition sponsored by Society of Environmental Journalists, “the world’s largest and most comprehensive honors” for eco-reporting. In head-to-head competition for this honor, Green Monster beat entry from The CBS Evening News with Katie Couric.
For 3 consecutive years (‘07-09), Society of Professional Journalists named Green Monster, Revenge and Kiss “Florida’s Best Public Affairs Television Program.” Green Monster also received 2 Emmy nominations (Best Documentary/Best Writing); Revenge of the River, 1 nomination (Best Documentary).
HIGHLIGHTS: TELEVISION NEWS, FEATURES, PRIME-TIME SPECIALS, CHILDREN'S PROGRAMS
10 years as On-camera, Emmy Award winning, major market TV news/feature reporter, writer, producer for NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, PBS and indie television stations (Miami, Little Rock, Jacksonville markets).
On-camera reporter, producer & scriptwriter, 1,000+ stories, The Retherford Report, five times a week Emmy Award winning news and feature segment on Miami TV news (WCIX-TV). Ratings for news broadcast up 50% within six months of Retherford Report debut. Specialties: Human interest, schools, community events, children/elderly/animals, arts & entertainment, celebrities, humor, sports, live shots.
On-camera host, producer & scriptwriter, Miami Nice—A Special Retherford Report, Emmy Award winning series of prime-time specials. Segment Highlight: Mini-documentary at Dolphin Research Center, Grassy Key, FL. Also: Hosted /produced New Year’s Eve celebration program live from Miami’s South Beach; Correspondent/Producer for Miami Dolphins pre-season football TV specials.
On-camera reporter, producer & scriptwriter, 1,000+ stories, The Retherford Files, five times a week UPI award winning news and feature segment on Little Rock TV news (KARK-TV). Ratings for 6 p.m. news up 2 share points (44 to 46) within one rating period after Retherford Files debut; Ratings up 4 share points (31 to 35) within one rating period when Retherford Files on 5 p.m. news.
On-camera host, producer and scriptwriter, 250 episodes, News for Little People, daily five-minute educational children’s program on WJKS-TV (Jacksonville, FL) featuring science-themed topics (environment, space exploration, dinosaurs, oceans, earthquakes, wild animals, energy conservation).
On-camera reporter, producer, writer, editor, 1,000+ news & feature stories, WJKS-TV, Jacksonville FL. Specialties: Local government, politics, crime, community affairs, state legislature, news conferences.
HIGHLIGHTS: PRINT (NEWSPAPERS, MAGAZINES, WEB)
2000-present: Writer, 100+ national, regional and local magazine articles, nationally-syndicated newspaper columns, web articles. Specialties: Environment, politics, business, economy, education, health/medicine, children/elderly, human interest, nostalgia, celebrity, arts/entertainment, film reviews.
2000-present: Creator, developer, writer, editor of various marketing/promotional print materials: News releases, press kits, proposals, creative treatments, educational materials, DVD cover copy, movie posters.
2003: Ghostwrote 400+ page autobiography of Jim Clayton, Forbes 400 CEO. Legendary investor Warren Buffett bought Clayton’s company (for $1.7 billion) after reading the book.
HIGHLIGHTS: CORPORATE, U.S. GOVERNMENT, NON-PROFIT
Producer/writer/on-camera host: 500+ internal videos for 100+ Fortune 500, U.S. Gov, non-profit clients.
• Pacific Bell Telephone /SBC: Produced/scripted 50+ marketing, product roll-out and employee education videos. California Call Center sales up 250% after series of motivational programs;
• Southwestern Bell Telephone: Produced/scripted 75+ video programs (7 years). SWB United Way contributions up 190% after company-wide viewing of fundraising video. “Fantastic! Your production was out of this world,” said the client;
• California Coastal Commission: Produced Adopt-a-Beach, environmental DVD program created for elementary school children. Initial rollout, May ’09, viewed by 40,000 school children in 1,600 Los Angeles Unified School District classrooms;
• Mallinckrodt Medical: Produced/scripted 40+ video programs (5 years), including educational medical series shot in U.S., Canada, Europe and viewed worldwide by thousands of PhDs, MDs, nurses, technicians and patients. Subject matter included pediatric open heart surgery, Down syndrome children, treatment of HIV/AIDS patients and interviews with leading scientists;
• U.S. Navy: Produced series of interactive DVDs for Naval Safety Center in Norfolk, VA (seat belt, motorcycle and on-board ship safety). Viewed on-line by 100,000+ Navy personnel;
• NOAA (National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration): Produced CD-ROM, Mariner’s Safety Guide for Right Whales, viewed by thousands of commercial ship pilots on U.S. east coast;
• U.S. Small Business Development Centers: Produced/scripted Dial M For Manners, 45-minute video and 100-pg. companion book, distributed to 1,800 U.S. SB Development Centers;
• Applause, Theatre & Cinema Books, New York/Wink Martindale Enterprises, Hollywood: Produced 2-hr. instructional DVD, 7 Steps to Stardom, “how-to” for fledgling actors. Also edited 7 Steps 100-pg. companion book. Released to national retail outlets, May ‘06;
• Beaver Street Fisheries/Sam’s Club: Produced/scripted cooking DVD for BSF, world’s largest wholesale seafood supplier. Shown nationwide at point-of-purchase, Sam’s Club stores, ‘10;
• University of North Florida: Produced/scripted “Jacksonville Commitment” TV commercial. UNF client said: “Your commercial was spectacular. . .better than any of the Super Bowl spots”;
• Virginia Johnson Masters Learning Institute: Scripted Relationship Minute, 130 radio commentaries (health/medical issues), narrated by Virginia Johnson (of Masters & Johnson fame)
Other clients: NBC Universal, Sloan-Kettering Medical, USC Medical Center, Vistakon, Johnson & Johnson, B.F. Goodrich, Citicorp, Anheuser-Busch, CSX Transportation, APR Energy, Seminole Electric Co-Op, Lake City Tourism, Florida Humanities Council, Jacksonville Historical Society, dozens more.
• Film Short: Director, Where Are They Now, shot on-location, Hollywood CA, March ’11;
• 2008 Fellow: Scripps-Howard Institute on the Environment, Florida Atlantic University;
• Finalist: NASA’s Journalist-in-Space Program (canceled after Challenger explosion);
• Professional Memberships: Society of Professional Journalists, Society of Environmental Journalists, National Science Writers Association;
• Recent Volunteerism: Andrew Jackson High School journalism class, October ’10 to present. Now working on new issue of school newspaper (Tiger’s Claw)—the first edition in 15 years;
• Recently profiled in: Television Week, March ’07; SEJ Journal, October ’07;
• Education: B.S., Broadcast Journalism, Univ. of Florida. Awarded Scripps-Howard scholarship;
• Final Quote: From Wink Martindale, legendary TV host and producer (20 network and syndicated television shows over a 55-year career):
“In all my years of developing, producing and hosting television programs, I have never worked with a more professional, dedicated and creative individual.
In my view, Bill is a one-of-a-kind talent!”
For additional information: Superb references, sample video reel and writing portfolio (including TV scripts, newspaper/magazine/web articles, news releases and more) available on request.