I am a hard-working project management professional seeking a position where I can use my organizational talents, put on my creative thinking cap, and pull it all together with my writing/editing/layout/design skills. I am a team player with a strong desire to create a quality product in a professional environment. I am seeking a position with a company that values quality, creativity, and independence. As a Certified Change Agent and Certified Yellow Belt, I integrate Six Sigma and Change Management methodologies to make improvements to better meet customer expectations and organization objectives.
Joint Commission Resources, Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois
June 2005–present: Senior Project Manager, Department of Publications
• Serve as lead Production liaison for all corporate production projects (including, but not limited to, corporate education workbooks, annual reports, white papers, and consulting toolkits). Work with a variety of key constituents and stakeholders across the corporate enterprise. Serve as Production expert on various corporate teams and process improvement initiatives.
• Design, layout, and oversee all aspects production for books, posters, brochures, and other special projects such as annual reports, educational workbooks, and related products.
• Layout and design of 4 monthly periodicals (one journal and three newsletters), including electronic distribution and multiple web postings.
• Manage multiple quick-turnaround and ongoing print and electronic projects with varying levels of complexity and different output methodologies.
• Monitor weekly inventory and manage inventory levels for all print products at warehouse, and make weekly reprint recommendations, following through printing and delivery.
• Communicate production needs, processes, and timelines to staff.
• Work with external vendors; reviewing materials at all stages of production; and maintaining production schedules, product expense budgets, and quality standards for these projects.
• Research and recommend new printers and freelancers.
• Implement multiple cost-saving initiatives. Reduced turnaround times for book reprints by 50%. Maintain inventory management spreadsheets and, tracking vendor and cost data. Maintain and distribute weekly product status report.
November 2001–June 2005: Project Manager, Department of Publications
• Production project manager for books, technical manuals, newsletters. Responsibilities included managing freelance copyeditors, proofreaders, designers, layout artists, and securing printers.
• Worked with colleagues to transition all production of newsletters and some books to in-house composition system. Recommended and implemented new workflow for in-house page composition.
Cahners Business Information, Oak Brook, Illinois
December 1989–October 2001
July 1996–October 2001: Editorial Production Coordinator/ Senior Editor, Plant Engineering magazine
April 1992–July 1996: Production Editor/Associate Editor, Plant Engineering magazine
December 1989–April 1992: Associate Editor, Plant Engineering magazine
• Handled all production prepress functions for business-to-business publication, managing composition, quality control, and processing all pages from electronic creation through delivery to the printer. Worked with editors to ensure timely delivery and correct formatting of editorial text, worked with art director on layout and design, coordinated 4c scanning and creation of computer illustrations, managed production schedules for 3 issues simultaneously, worked with advertising production manager to ensure timely delivery to printer.
• Researched, wrote, edited, and proofread feature editorial and three monthly department columns for monthly business-to-business publication.
• Handled special projects, including display advertisements, media kits, direct mail pieces, newsletters, and related projects.
• Organized and executed annual new products awards program, including selecting industry leaders as judges and coordinating awards presentation; paginated using ATEX mainframe system
Education: Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, Indiana University, Bloomington
Computer experience: PC, Mac, Quark XPress, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office
[Joint Commission] Certified Yellow Belt August 2012