An interview from the 2016 Cine Gear Expo at Paramount Studios in Los Angeles with Steve Cooperman of Panasonic. Panasonic provides a broad line of digital and other electronics products and solutions for consumer, business and industrial use. In this interview Steve talks with us about the recently released Version 6.0 Firmware Upgrade for the VariCam 35 & VariCam HS.
Panasonic's Version 6.0 free firmware upgrade for its VariCam 35 4K and VariCam HS camera/recorders expands recording options and enables a multiplicity of post-production workflow scenarios. Improvements encompass uncompressed RAW capture for the VariCam 35 with the new Codex V-RAW recorder, support for the Apple ProRes 4444 codec in both the VariCam 35 and VariCam HS, and anamorphic lens support for the VariCam 35.
Combining the ultimate in high-performance, with ease-of-use, the Codex V-RAW recorder adds uncompressed RAW capture to the VariCam 35 camera platform by enabling the recording of 4K RAW at up to 120fps, greatly bolstering the camera’s suitability for high-end cinema applications. The Codex V-RAW recorder directly connects with the VariCam35, eliminating cabling completely to facilitate greater efficiency, superb reliability and higher mobility.
With newly added support for HD recordings in the Apple ProRes 4444 industry-standard codec, VariCam 35/HS users will enjoy the advantages of well-established workflow options as well as premium HD image capture. The addition of 1.33:1 and 2.0:1 anamorphic lensing support for the VariCam 35 is enhanced by the simultaneous recording of squeezed and de-squeezed images in the VariCam 35’s main and sub-recorders, eliminating cut-out operations during post. Anamorphic lens support also enhances on-set monitoring by displaying de-squeezed images in the viewfinder and HD monitor outputs.
The powerful versatility of Panasonic’s scalable AVC-ULTRA codec is on full display in the VariCam 35, with AVC-Intra4K422 providing 4K recording up to 60fps, AVC-Intra4K444 12-bit recording up to 30fps for the highest-quality field production and graphics flexibility, and AVC-Intra4K-LT optimized for high-speed capture up to 120fps.
Features Added in Version 6.0
- Menu to match the file name of clips recorded in MAIN and SUB recorder is added.
- New expressP2 card "B series" support
- New wireless module "AJ-WM50" support
- ProRes HQ codec support 1080/60i, 50i
- LUT/CDL recorded with each clip can applied in playback mode
- LUT/CDL can be saved in SD card
- "2.201:1" frame marker is added
- "BEEP" sounds can be played at REC START/STOP
- Each of VF and VF-SDI can separately have different color
- Resolution is improved when MAIN recording is selected "V-709"
- AUDIO VOLUME can be adjusted by menu dial
- New USER SW function which open AUDIO VOLUME display directly is added
- WFM can show in "YGBR"
- Area marker which shows expanded area in EXPAND mode is added
- MENU structure of "Audio Setting" and "Output Setting" is improved
- Surround View function has menu to extend whether upper or lower
- Changed the name of menu item from "FLIP FLOP" to "IMAGE INVERT"
- New function to display the lists of functions which is assigned to USER SW
This firmware upgrade Version 4.0 is immediately available for downloading at the Panasonic service support website, eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp
For more information please visit: www.US.Panasonic.com